View single post by Mitch Ware
 Posted: 12-12-2011 08:46 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mitch Ware

I'm starting to figure out the budget for switching over from racing the MGB/GT and going to racing a JH. We have been building our own race engines for quite a while, but all of the little things that we have learned that let us acquire HP and longevity probably don't cross over from the MG 1800 to a 907.

We have been running historic SCCA race groups which lets us be a little bit looser with the rules than a strictly legal E Production car. Of course this means that the competition isn't quite as high since we don't have to run against miatas and integras that just rechip for more HP.

What is a good source for learning how to build a racing version of the 907, and what parts/sources/etc. are recommended?

I have a spare 5 speed and stock engine to start with. Is the getrag 235/5 acceptable? Or should we look for an overdrive tranny to convert to to gain a little top speed? How about wheel and tire sizes to get the best compromise of low end acceleration and top speed? Not to mention rear end ratios? (damn, I mentioned them.)

I'm not trying to win a national championship, but would like to build something reasonably competitive.

Thanks,

Mitch