View single post by Lash Russell
 Posted: 12-08-2011 01:11 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Lash Russell

Ross,

This sounds a little unusual.  If the TO bearing is going it usually makes a grinding/rubbing/squeeling noise whne the clutch is engaged.  If you aren't experiencing this then your TO bearing likely is fine therefore probably not the culprit.  Sounds like Mason is on the right track, something is binding.  The pressure plate requires a fair amount of force to disengage the disk from the flywheel so it could be the clutch cable is sticking but it would have to be very bad before the binding in the cable would overcome the spring force of the pressure plate when you lift off the clutch pedal.  It could also be some binding on the output shaft of the tranny where the TO bearing rides on, perhaps this in combination with a sticky cable is what is binding the clutch.

I'd try removing the clutch cable from the tranny then seing how much resistance is in the cable when you depress the clutch cable and have a helper pull back on the bellhousing end of the cable, try this a few time and see, this would be an easy fix if it it a completely jammed cable requiring only the removal and lubrication or replacement of the cable (they are available at club store).  If this doesn't work then removal of the tranny/bellhousing/clutch would be required.  At least it would be an opportunity to completely service the clutch so it will be done for good.  If it turns out that a new clutch plate/disk is required I'd strongly recommend a new TO bearing as well as a resurface of the flywheel.  This is also a great time to put in a new rear crank seal if you notice it is leaking (I'd do it anyway even if it isn't).  Don't forget to seal the flywheel bolts (I think someone mentioned teflon tape??) as these holes can leak oil from the crank.  Someone who knows about this better than I please advise re flywheel bolt hole oil leakage.

Hope this helps,

Lash