View single post by Scottm5407
 Posted: 12-02-2011 12:39 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Scottm5407

Lash...  It turns out I already have the shop manual, however it seems to have very little information on the body and interior, which are the 2 areas I'm trying to sort out.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had a talk with Jeff at Delta yesterday, and we talked about the parts catalog as a possible source of enlightenment. He was even kind enough to fax me a couple of pages as examples.

I have a couple of old copies of the printed Delta catalog, and what is in there and in various places on the current Delta website are basically copies of most of the  exploded drawings in the parts catalog. So it seems that I already have access to much of this information ( and you're right, these have put me light years ahead of where I was )

What these views don't show however is how the various sectons fit together, and Jeff told me that there is really no publication that shows this.

My problem lies in the fact that I wasn't the one who took it apart in the first place.

So I guess I'm going to have to tackle these issues one at a time and hope that some good-hearted member(s) will have been up the street that I'm trying to navigate at any given stage, and will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

At this point I am trying to get a handle on the dash and instrument cluster. The dash is pretty straightforward.  The instrument cluster has been redone and is ready to install, but I have no idea how the instrument cluster attaches to whatever it attaches to. It seems to be a sloppy fit into the oval opening in the dash, but either or both of these parts may not have come from this car, ( or even the same car as each other)

I have another complete unrestored instrument cluster, which I stripped down to just the bare plastic bezel, and this seems to fit a little better into the dash opening.

In both cases the finisher strip on the instrument cluster in missing...is this essential in putting it all together, or is it just cosmetic ?

Should the cluster be assembled to the dash first and then the whole thing installed in the car, or does the dash go in first and the cluster after ??

Sorry if these sound like really dumb questions, but this is the first section of the car I've tried to sort out, and I'm already stumped.

Scott