View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 07-21-2005 02:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Hey Judson,

I think it will help.  IT rules state that anything in front of the carbs is free - EXCEPT, a cold air intake UNLESS your car had it factory. So, by the book I can make any sheet metal contraption I want and I think, since we know some JH's used that hole for air, I can plumb my sheet metal contraption into the hole for fresh air.

It definitely helps power.  It is well known and well documented with dyno sheets that Z cars pick up about 7-10 rear wheel hp if they don't breathe the hot under hood air and instead get a fresh air pickup out the front.  Of course, a Z car can make 170-190 rear wheel hp in IT trim, so it is a little apples to oranges on the JH, but the Z car motor is 2.4L where we are at 2.0L.  So, we should get something and I am sure temps, carbs, etc. have a lot to do with it. 

In short, I think it'll be worth it and I will work to make one, just not right away.  I was planning on necking that 5" hole in the body down to 3" and using it for a brake duct feed, but now I need to use something else.

R