View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 07-21-2005 02:00 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Ron,

Some VERY late JHs had this 'ram-air' intake.  My father's car had it as well as a California car I bought a few years ago.  This is NOT a very common thing. 

These cars also have a set of door and ignintion keys mounted (as I remember) somewhere in front of the radiator. (I remember reading this in the owner's manual when I was 15 as it gave me the opportunity to take the old-man's car out w/o permission!)

As I remember it, the 'muffler' looking air intake that everyone has seen is not present, but an air-box over the carbs is still there.  However, this air-box has its opening at the front pointing forward instead of the usual opening in between the two carbs pointing toward the passanger side.

A stiff hose connects this air-box opening to a hole cut in the sheetmetal above where the radiator overflow bottle is mounted.  At least in theory this would bring cold-air into the carbs. 

The only problem is that it really isn't documented anywhere that I've seen.  Even the great JH guru Bruce Madden hasn't ever seen a JH with this set-up.   Does anyone have an Owner's manual from a very late JH?

Judson