View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 07-20-2005 11:36 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Tim,

That is a Powermaster one wire alternator and it is quite small. It is only 60amp and is rated for severe duty at high RPM. They aren't cheap, typically around $175, but they last forever and are really nice on hookup. Since I made all of my own wiring harnesses and connectors (you can disconnect the entire motor harness with one connector and that includes oil, water, pertronix, transponder, starter, ignition, etc). I like the fact the one wire alternator only has one output wire that goes to the positive lug on the starter. You can see my one connector on the back wall near the coil. Makes a nice and simple installation and ease of service. There are no field wires etc. to enable the alternator to work and the regulator is internal of course.

I had to make the brackets to hold it, but I had some old alternator brackets of various types lying around and it only took a little bit of time.  In the end I think it is better since rebuilds are easy on it, and cheap, and I don't have to deal with the crazy OEM unit that nobody seems to know what it is.

Ron

Last edited on 07-20-2005 11:38 pm by Ron Earp