View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 07-19-2005 06:56 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Thanks for the info Mark. I am going to use a MSD Timing Advance/Retard unit and I might just fix the dizzy at a static of 10 BTDC then use a MSD electronic advance to handle the advance duties.  The MSD Timing unit will let me advance or retard 15 degrees which will make dyno tuning easy and it easy for me to change timing based on temperature - I can run more advance when cooler and extract that couple of hp.

I capped that tube - the manifold must have some odd internal castings to do what it does!

Driveshaft - it might help acceleration. I can say this though - RTP Racing has two spec Miatas we rent and one of ours, #39, was one of the fastest spec Miatas around about 1 year ago as it got off corners faster than anything else. We used a lightweight 3 puck clutch with lightweight pressure plate (all legal).  Weight savings is about 8 pounds.  I experienced it first hand - off corners it would get half a car length and that would translate into a car length or more over a decent straight. With cars with only about 100 rear wheel hp anything helps!!!!!

So, I think a lightweight driveshaft could be of benefit. Definitely a lightweight clutch and pressure plate will, and I am getting ready to investigate that. Obviously an aluminum flywheel would be great, but it is illegal.

I will have one made next week and let you know. Also will be dynoing the motor around the 1st of August so I'll post that as well - providing it doesn't let go on rev up for the first time, at which I'll call Judson and fly him up for emercency services!

R

Ron