View single post by frank12873
 Posted: 07-19-2005 02:16 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
frank12873

Hello everyone!

I can't seem to get my oil cooler lines to seal up. They both leak badly at the fittings on the oil cooler; no leaks on the filter side. I have taken them off 3 times now, examined them for burrs (none found), and reinstalled them (the last time I REALLY tightened them down). They seem oil tight for a while, but ultimately leak, after driving the car at highway speeds.

Anyone else have this problem? I've looked at the parts manual, and I don't see where I'm missing any parts like a crush washer or rubber o-ring; manual doesn't show any. I've thought about reinstalling next time with a thin coating of the blue sealant around the nipple of the cooler fitting, but am worried that some of the semi-soft sealent could get into the engine, clog an oil passage, and seize it. Is that a legitimate concern?

I've also considered using 10W-40 oil next oil change, to lower the oil pressure in the engine. My engine has 60-65 #psi at start-up, and 45-50 #psi at highway speeds at all times when hot. I've read here that I could expect 6# psi less at highway speeds using the lighter weight oil. Maybe that will help?

This oil leak is really lessening my enjoyment of the car. It seems it should be a simple fix, but I can't seem to make it seal. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!