View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 07-17-2005 03:52 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

I put new cam belt idler bearings in  about six months ago and the new bearings are now  whining and must be replaced.  I guess I got the belt tension a little too tight according to what the book says. I don't have a belt tension tension gauge and was wondering how much the upper part of the belt could be moved when the belt is at propper tension.  All of the pulleys are worn and it requires almost full adjustment on the idler pulley to get the belt tight. Those last few degrees on the idler pulley must put a tremendous load on the belt and idler bearings, or I just got a really cheap set of bearings.  It takes (2)  #6005 2RS  bearings  (popular used as front wheel bearings in some jap dirt bikes).     Any better experiences with this bearing set?

Also, is the belt tensioner idler pulley supposed to be slightly rounded, or is mine worn out?     Nothing would surprise me here.

I also wonder how far a camshaft belt pulley can wear before  the reduced diameter of the pulley  becomes a problem  belt teeth or not??

Thanks in advance

Dan