View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 07-17-2005 12:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

My motor on the JH SCCA IT car is done, in the car, and we're tidying things up for start up. I've a couple of questions about some "details":

*On the intake manifold, right above where the temperature sender screws in, there is a little brass tube - what is this and what does it connect to? Is it an air bleed for the cooling system?

*My distributor has no vacuum advance/retard, someone removed it eons ago I suppose.  I don't want a vacuum advance/retard however, but, I need to know roughly what does the stock distributor do for mechanical advance and when is it in by? I'll have to tune it and fool with it I'm sure for best power, but I'm just sort of wondering what I'm dealing with as a mechanical base - will it get 34 degrees of advance in at 2500 RPM?, etc.  I know it has weights and springs in it, I verified that, but what they'll do I have no clue. Does anyone re-curve these things in case it is needed?

*Driveshaft - related to my other question you fellows were right, my driveshaft that was sold to me as a "complete 5 speed kit for a 4 speed" does not work. It is about 1.5" too long. I'm going to have a driveshaft made for the car, in *cough, cough* ummmm, aluminum. Anyone have any sugestions, tips, or pitfalls to avoid with the driveshaft?

Thanks much for all the help folks. Jeff Young and I are pretty confident the JH and the TR8 will race as a pair at CMP in early August - barring any problems on my end with engine, tranny, or suspension setup. All the electrics (I made all the harnesses from scratch) work, it seems, brakes work (all new lines, equal length and separate for the back with bias control), and if she'll just fire up and run we'll be in good shape. Fire up in Monday or Tuesday night, I'm hoping it'll be fine.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited on 07-17-2005 12:57 pm by Ron Earp