View single post by Ramp
 Posted: 06-19-2011 01:29 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ramp

Thanks again.  Decided to pass on the 5 speed - convinced that the car needed a rebuild on the tranny as well as possibly the rear end.  I'm ok with that AFTER I get to drive it for at least a summer !!

Next day happened to find a 4 speed about 60 miles away - all original, no mods at all, all engine components in place.  Took it for a drive and as far as transmissions, it was night/day.  The 4 speed is as I would expect - only 45k miles.  loved the car and am now confident I want a JH

Unfortunately the 4 speed was completely rusted through underneath - hidden by a new paint job - floor boards, front right frame etc.  This would be a great parts car for the mechanicals.

I also liked the 4 speed gearing - I'm looking for a nice driver around town and occasional small trip on the highway - not sure why there is so much demand for the 5 speed ???

So, I'll set up a new post - looking forward to joining the forum - going to look for another so if anyone knows of any, let me know.  I would like to find one I can check out first - unless its from a regular on the forum that will give an honest assessment.

One final Q, - I found a local craigslist for a one owner JH-5 in running condition.  From what I read on the JHPS website, there is really no benefit from this mystery car - other than the badging.
Ramp