View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 05-25-2011 05:45 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

Just my 2 cents and based on my specific experience- rebuilding, reboring, resleeving (in brass, stainless, it doesn't seem to matter) or or whatever else you can do to an old master cylinder is a fool's errand. I've done them all multiple times over the years and they have ALL ended with what I can only describe as premature failure and money not well spent. This failure rate varies from less than 1 minute to less than one year of normal driving. On three completely different occasions (using different rebuilt master cylinders), this resulted in catastrophic brake failure meaning I had no brakes to stop the car. This is not a fun feeling and I would recommend you keep the brake system up to scratch and keep it safe by avoiding rebuild masters. Again, your mileage may vary, this is simply my experience with the brake system on the Jensen Healey that an owner is well ahead in installing a new master cylinder. A master cylinder on any vehicle should always be considered a consumable item.