View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 04-29-2011 12:28 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

In the late 80's Nissan used basically the same setup on the vg30i  v-6 engine for a couple of years before  going to a chain drive.  The pulley size and pitch were the same and the belt is the same except the pulleys are steel and are mounted different. I had the same problem with the belt almost sunk into the aluminum pulleys.  The local u-pull it yard supplied the pulleys at $5-10 apiece and a machinist freind made me a set of spacers  and offset drive keys so that everything lines up . All thats left is to mark the timing marks from the old to the new pulleys by stacking the old on top of the new and lining up the key slots.  I thought it was easy but there are folks here who think that this is a dangerous thing for the uninitiated.  

At any rate you can google nissan vg30i to see them or look in the photo gallery under florida cars for pic's of mine.

If your belt is moving forward or backward on the pulley, suspect the idler pulley(the little one with no teeth). Itis supposed to be arched in the middle to keep the belt centered. it may be worn or loose/ misaligned or have bad bearings.