View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 03-21-2005 01:46 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Great info, I appreciate it being posted.

Strombergs are basically very large motorcycle carbs, at least, like most CV motorcyle carbs you find.  As such you can do a lot with them as Mark has indicated.  Other tuning methods are more "crude" but can yield excellent results.  You can shim the needles up a but using very small spring steel washers under the needle seat and between the piston which will raise the needle a bit, and enrichen the mixture.  Go in small steps such as 0.005" to 0.020"  at a time, a little goes a long way.  You can also taper the needles yourself using abrasive methods, but it is quite imprecise.  These methods are best used on race cars where you don't care about transistions in throttle position too much since you'll get poor uniformity.

In the end a pair well prepped Stromberg is plently large for the 2.0L JH motor and will provide excellent performance.  I think, from what I can tell from comments about them, is that they are misunderstood and folks just give up on them without ever understanding how to get them to perform.

R

Last edited on 03-21-2005 01:48 am by Ron Earp