View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 07-10-2005 04:06 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Ah, metaphors... but I'd rather belabor the obvious than have someone ruin an engine due to a misunderstanding.

Strombergs are pretty easy to deal with.  There's a four-part article on rebuilding them, which I wrote, printed in the March to June issues of the JHPS magazine, and this may be of some benefit to you.  If you don't have access to these issues, there may still be a version of this article in the old JHPS archives, and there's a lot of useful stuff online, particularly in association with Volvos. 

Don't know for sure what the HP limit of the overdrive is, but I'd guess it's around 150 to 165 HP.  A lot depends on how you're going to use the car.  I do think the overdrive would be invaluable if you're planning on lots of freeway miles.  For really ambitious driving, though, something with available spares might be a more prudent choice.  As the Getrag 5-speed is said to shift rather slowly, and is also spares-limited, you might want to investigate the tranny conversions from New Zealand (see the JHPS boutique for details).