View single post by Joel
 Posted: 07-09-2005 10:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Okay. I've had my car for about a week now. New tires on Mon or TUes - then I can start playing around with getting the oil changed and things dialed in a bit better. I have searched thru the forums and have a couple of questions that didn't get answered:

1) What weight oil does everyone run? I saw 20/50 somewhere. I was thinking that synthetic 20/50 might be the ticket - after I flush the motor w/ cheap stuff and some 'gunk'. I liked that idea from whomever posted it.

2) When I first start the car - until it warms up (10 minutes??) I hear a bit of what I would call a 'knock'. It seems to go away after the engine warms up. Oil pressure comes up fast and everything seems fine but this seems odd to me. I wonder if it is related to 3. . .

3) I think the carbs are way too rich. For several reasons. When you tromp on it - there is a little bit of a lag in the acceleration. This seems to go away after a little bit of driving at higher RPMS. I'm thinking too rich carbs are fouling the plugs and driving at the higher rpms is cleaning them off - ideas? The other thing is that there is a really really sweet smell of exhaust. Sitting in traffic you could possible aphixiate yourself. . .no holes in the exhaust that I can find. I think it's just burning too much gas . . .anyone agree?

4) Anyone here in San Diego want to help me screw around with the carbs?

The car is a 74. vin 18397 fitted with an 4 speed overdrive transmission and stombergs. I have an extra pair of dellortos (i think 40s) a five speed with rearend, and an extra head. When I get my garage built I'm considering getting a block and building another motor with the extra head, dellortos etc - but that's a ways off. Right now I just want to get this bad boy running right. Anyone know a good mechanic in San Diego that can help me with the stuff I might not either have the time to do myself or have problems with?

Thanks! The info on this site has been VERY VERY helpful already.