View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 03-21-2005 12:35 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

According to the shop manual, the B1CM needles were used until engine 4802.  I should have mentioned that but to be frank I just didn't think about it.  Of course there's no way to know what a PO may have done, so any car could have needles of either type.

Both carbs need to have the same type of needle.  If not, I'd expect that it would be impossible to ever get the carbs properly balanced.  And, since one of the sets of carbs I bought via eBay last year, supposedly from a running JH, had two different needle types, this problem may be a lot more common than people would expect.

Fortunately, the mixture needle code number can easily be checked without disturbing the carburetor adjustments in any way.  Remove the carb dome, remove the long spring, remove the vacuum valve and diaphragm, pull gently down on the shaft of the mixture needle, and read the marking on the very top of the needle.  Assembly is the reverse of the above, and once done, it's a good idea to top off the damper oil.

Finally, do ensure that the tab on the rim of the diaphragm fits into the recess for it on the carb body, and that the alignment mark on the dome faces toward the carb inlet -- from what I've seen over the past few years, about 1 in 20 Strombergs is reassembled incorrectly.